Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Inspiration

Hello, my friends!

Summer seems to have arrived at long last!

So, it is the time to recharge, to re-group, and to rediscover ourselves in light of the past year. No doubt we all have plenty of work to do, and while I do feel I owe you an assignment (though only for your own enjoyment, I assure you!), I want to encourage you (and, since I am in the habit of preaching to myself in this venue, me) to pursue things that bring you joy and peace this summertime. As I type, I am listening to this:


It's magic....please, please watch a re-broadcast of it! In particular, I love the violin soloist's facial expressions and the oodles of fun these three titans are having as they play the Beethoven triple concerto. It reminds me of everything I love about being a musician....connectedness, expression, and the unfettered joy that comes in using mastery in a completely ego-less way -- for the sake of the music itself and for the people listening.

And, speaking of Beethoven:

Rising Level 2's

Here's a sweet little piece:


Begin by looking over the whole melody, noting that it moves along at a leisurely saunter rather than a brisk walk. Does it appear to change keys? What chromatic alterations do you see? What are their names in solfa? How are they approached? Do they resolve immediately? Try singing through the whole melody. If you have trouble, try playing the bass line of the piano along with your singing. If you still have trouble, fill in the harmony of the right hand and see if that does the trick. If you're feeling ambitious, do a Roman numeral analysis of the whole shebang.

Rising Level 3's

I like this piece an awful lot:


Don't be intimidated by the full score....or the funky clefs! If you've not seen it before, the clef in the "Voce Solo" line (which is the only one I really want you to worry about) is soprano clef, meaning that the bottom line is middle C. If I were you, I might consider setting myself in the appropriate key, but pretending I'm in G as I read through the piece. What accidentals do you encounter? Do you believe a modulation is in order? Why or why not? See if you can find a nice recording of this somewhere and have a listen....it's really a gorgeous, graceful piece. If you get inspired, round up a few friends and sing through the choral parts together! Mind the clefs...and feel free to use my wacky transposition tricks at will (sopranos pretend to be in G, altos pretend to be in D, tenors pretend to be in F).

Rising Level 4's

It would do you good to do the same assignment as the rising 3's, but since I know you love to have your own stuff, too.....

Take a look at this:


Sing through the melody....easy-peasy, yes? Try singing it as you play the lowest voice. Now, plunk your way through the harmonies. What do you make of that funky chord in m. 6? Oh, and what is the form of the piece? The first one to send me an email and tell me both the name of the form, the origin of that form, and the name of its constituent parts gets a cookie.

Enjoy, and embrace inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment